Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Hawks Hawks and more Hawks!

What is it with Hawks lately?
We have had two visits from Coopers Hawks and one from the Sharp Shinned Hawk recently.
Plus I was reading that Seth and Michelle from Portland Oregon Backyard Birds have had 40 or so visits from their local Sharpie, and I think two from the Coopers!
Is it always like this?
I have not yet been through the full cycle of Northwest birds yet so I don't know if it's just an easy meal because there are so many birds in winter? I don't know yet but as soon as summer comes I should know :-)

2 comments:

NW Nature Nut said...

I always get some hawk visits during the fall and winter, but it's never been "too bad." I guess they have to get a meal too and the little birds always come back.

Beverly said...

I've not yet been through a 'full cycle' yet either (just started watching in February this year), but I remember excitedly watching both Coopers & Sharpies, a Red-tailed and perhaps a Swainson’s Hawk (it was huge, though…at the time, I thought it may have been a Ferruginous. I’ll never know for sure.) But of late, the only big guy I’ve seen has been multiple visits from a Great Horned Owl.

I can hardly wait till the hawks come back!